Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Kitchen Countertop Dilemma

This is exactly what I do NOT want my kitchen to look like. Just wood everywhere... Dark, dismal, country bumpkin pioneer kitchen. If this is your kitchen and you love it, no offense is intended, it just isn't what I have in mind for ours.

We had decided to get butcher block counter tops. Some of my favorite magazines to browse are home magazines from England and I absolutely love the way that the wood counter tops shine and look so fabulous in all the homes. They are very popular in Europe and very tastefully done.
Because they look something like this photo above. I love, love, love this photo.
Last night I had an epiphany. Wood ceiling with wood beams with wood floor with wood counter tops with wood cabinets = a LOT of wood. A whole lot. Too much.
I spent the night scouring Flickr and google and HGTV to try to find an all wood kitchen that suited me. I didn't like any of them. I think having a contrast between painted surface and the butcher block counter top is key. I love this black island above.

Here's our dilemma. To my sweet husband, painting any kind of wood is a mortal sin.
I think that maybe if we just paint the island base and leave the side cabinets wood it would be an improvement on what we're headed towards now - that first photo I dread.
Another solution might be to use butcher block on the island and slate or soapstone on the side cabinets....
I'm scrolling through prices and photos right now.

In other happy kitchen news, Sean began saving us a $1,000 yesterday by cleaning up the broken old hearth and preparing to pour a new concrete base for the new hearth. I love having a husband capable of DIY!

I emptied out the last of the sewing room (above the kitchen) so that room can now be gutted. There are only two remaining room to be emptied of lathe and plaster in the old part of the house! So encouraging!

And lastly, still no sweet baby in arms. I'm keeping busy, drinking my nettle and raspberry leaf tea and last night began using Evening Primrose Oil. Not much longer to go, right?

No comments: