Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Oh boy....

So what happens when they put plumbing in a 200 year old house, run it inside the uninsulated exterior walls and then the temps drop below zero at night?
(our three year old took the photo. Not so bad, eh?)

The pipes from the bathtub upstairs froze yesterday and burst today. I came downstairs early this morning and walked into the dark kitchen. Umm... wet feet. Not good.
Snuck back upstairs and whispered to Sean to get up. He confirmed my suspicions. Lovely.
Now we are in the process of moving the cast iron tub so he can fix the pipes underneath it. He can't get to them from the kitchen below.Yes, I am seven months pregnant today! And yes, that is a horrendous photo which I briefly considered photoshopping but how lovely can you make a photo of a large pregnant woman using a crowbar to tear off wall tiles around a tub? The three year old also took this photo which is why I'm laughing.
By the way, if you're missing any socks, I've found them. Someone once used them to insulate the pipes under the tub. Worked real well, huh?
Since we are in the process of making a new kitchen it isn't really all as bad as it could be - other than the fact that I'll have a torn apart ceiling for a few months until the new kitchen is done.
The upstairs bath will be redone later this year after we put a bathroom downstairs. It couldn't have gotten much uglier than it was already. There were no regrets having to tear that hideous tile off the wall to pull the tub out!

7 comments:

Marsha said...

We live in a 200+ year old house, too, and have seen the likes of this before! Not fun, but certainly interesting. The last time we had a "little" leak my husband was gleeful at the prospect of cutting holes in the ceiling of the floor below our sole bathroom. "Is there ever going to be a time when I'm allowed to cut holes in the ceiling?" he quite reasonably asked. Luckily, only three holes enabled him the access he needed and patched up nicely. Good times.

Jen said...

Fun, fun! We have been having frozen pipe issues too due to cold weather. I hope you are able to get things sorted out soon.

Your house project looks like so much fun! I'd be right in there with you tearing down the walls and wielding a crowbar while pregnant. ;) We just moved into our log house so I don't have any tearing down to do so I will have to content myself with rearranging the furniture for now.

I can't wait to see your finished projects!

Lynn Hasty said...

Hannah, I really think you're beautiful, so don't take that photo out! ~:-D

I can so relate to old homes and all the surprises they hold. As you know, we redid our bathroom when we discovered mushrooms growing from underneath the floor tile/linoleum. LOL.

We also recently discovered that we can easily punch holes in one of the window frames downstairs where some carpenter ants decided to set up home in the tasty old wood there. Yikes. I guess we'll be looking into repairing that this summer.

Lynn

Me said...

Hi ladies!
It was an unexpected project, that's for sure!
Sean finished the repairs after work that day. It took him about nine hours with a few runs to Lowes.
For now we'll just contentedly live with a few holes in the kitchen ceiling and a mussed up upstairs bathroom. More incentive to work quicker on the new kitchen and turn this one into a pantry.
Both upstiars baths need to be gutted so there's really no point in fixing anything there now. Nothing a long pretty shower curtain won't hide for now!
Jenny, I love that you're an active preggo woman too! I've never bought into that whole "delicate" condition thing!

Susan said...

Wow! What a task you are doing! We live in an apartment, dreaming of a home one day when we move back to the states. Thanks for stopping by! I saw your profile, says you are interested in Germany? Is there a reason? Just wondering since I am living there.

Poppy B. said...

Hi Hannah,

Email me your address--I owe you a bottle of Ombre Rose from the Bloggy Giveaway.

Catherine Holman said...

Old homes have so much character and come with never ending repairs. Seven years ago we moved into an old Dutch Colonial after living in a brick ranch for nearly 25 years. I felt at home the moment we moved in and have never looked back.

You have a lovely family and beautiful outlook on life. I just found your blogs today and they are so refreshing!

Catherine