Friday, March 14, 2008

New kitchen plans

I know I haven't posted here in ages. We haven't been slacking off at all, I promise. I've just been slacking at keeping this updated. Sean spent a weekend reinforcing the part of our house with a flat roof. This was messy and complicated and I'll get into that in another post.
Meanwhile, I've wallpapered a hallway and painted an enormous living room. But back to the new kitchen...
Remember this photo? Sean gutting and a lot of horsehair plaster and dust. We were blessed that a friend wanted some fill on her property and that all got dumped for free there. 3 truckloads, I think.


Here is the computer drawing for that same area with the stairs in the background. On the left are two wall ovens that we keep going back and forth on. Primarily because of cost. If I see two of these on Lowe's clearance aisle you can bet I'll make up my mind and grab them. Spending an extra grand or so just to have ovens in the wall isn't worth it to me.
On the island is a cooktop but here we are thinking of installing a slide in range with a downdraft.

The portion of the wall where our daughter is standing will be opened up to the diningroom on the other side.

Here is that same wall with the entry to the diningroom to the right of the fridge. We currently have a behometh of a fridge that we'll sell. Without downsizing our fridge, it would protrude at least four inches out from the cabinets. I figure we can always get a beater fridge in the garage for around holiday time if we need to.


This is our fireplace where my pretty enameled cast iron woodstove will sit with some sort of cushie chair nearby. meanwhile the search for a good mason in central NY who doesn't charge a $100 an hour is on. Anyone know anyone?


Here is that view of the fireplace. This tacky computer drawing of it was all they could come up with.


This is the island view facing the kitchen door and two front windows. I'm hoping for some enormous chandelier over the island. There will be plenty of room for some seating built in under one of the windows, I think.
Last but not least, this is the kitchen we're working with now. Not terrible at all and only three years old. Just not conducive for cooking for a big family and the size does not fit the house. We plan on selling it all. The neighbors that own a kitchen store and are doing our current kitchen installed this one as well. The owner says that these cabinets are still made and that we should have no trouble at all selling it. Anyone interested? Yes, my drawers do close, I just have little kids in them all day!

5 comments:

FishMama said...

So fun. I miss remodeling. My husband is a designer/contractor so we've had lots of fun projects in the past.

Depending on how thick your wall behind the fridge is, you could keep a standard depth refrigerator and basically make a custom cutout in the wall. That's what we did in our last house. We were able to keep the big fridge, but have it appear to be counter depth. Just a thought....

Catherine Holman said...

Hannah,
I love old houses! We moved into one 7 years ago. You can't get that kind of charm with a new house. It will be worth all the hard work when it's finished. It look like a great house!
Cathie

Catherine Holman said...

I forgot to tell you, my husband was a brick mason for years and now sells brick. We don't live near New York though.
Cathie

Me said...

Fishmama, we will build into the wall as much a possible. The fridge we have now is the largest that they make without having one custom made. It was a steal at Lowes about three years ago. I bought it for $400.

Catherine, we had a wonderful Mennonite mason friend who lived nearby but has since moved... Too bad your husband isn't in central NY! When the house is done, I'll have to commission a painting of it from you!

New Mom said...

Wow, you guys are certainly ambitious! Your husband must be a very hard worker. Oh, I wish I could take a before and after tour. I guess I'll just have to settle for pictures, be sure to take lots!